Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Thanks, Mitsubishi! or Why I Created This Blog

Thanks, Mitsubishi!

I had been thinking about starting a blog. I even created one under another name about a year ago. But it didn't last, because I couldn't think of anything productive to say, day after day after day.

However, last night, during 24, when that stupid Mitsubishi ad came up AGAIN, with the stupid blonde woman and her scruffy husband who can't think of anything to say to his woman without reading a sign with letters 10 feet tall - in which his stupid blonde wife is too stupid to turn around and SEE that he's obviously just reading words off a sign and not giving her a good reason why they should buy this stupid car - - it came to me:

Why not write a blog about commercials? I'm just as qualified as anyone else. Granted, I'm not in the hot 18-to-35 target market, but hey, on a good day I FEEL about 18 - well - maybe 35 - but I watch a lot of TV, and therefore see a lot of commercials.

So, I said, why the heck not?

But not just about BAD commercials, which are all too easy to find. There are GOOD commercials out there as well. In fact, as we all know, sometimes the commercials can be more entertaining that the actual programming! I could be wrong but I think it was Steve Martin who commented that after weeks of "Reality TV", it was so refreshing to come across a "DiTech" (home loan company in Southern California) commercial - because it had real actors, a script and a story!

One of the GOOD commercials I saw last night, which almost made up for the bad commercial, was the latest "Jack in the Box" ad - it's the one where Jack has brought this helpless Italian woman over to America to cook some new sandwich at his restaurants. She can only speak Italian, and keeps begging him to give her back his passport, or tells him how much she misses her children, but he acts like she's just saying, "I love you"! Now that's funny!

More humor, less stupidity. More GOOD spots, fewer BAD spots. That's the mission of this blog - to give credit where it's due, for better or for worse. If you know of a really BAD or really GOOD ad, please let me know and I'll keep an eye out for it and review it.

Oh, one more thing - I can't promise to make an entry every day. I want to, but know from previous attempts at keeping journals that I won't. Also, I read a lot of good blogs that haven't been updated since the Bush 41 administration. (Just kidding - I'm well aware that Al Gore was the only one who had a blog back then.)

But anyway, what I'm saying is, I'll try to make an entry at least once a week, if not more often. How's that sound?

Oh, as for me personally, what do you want to know? I'm female, I'm over 40 (well over 40, but you don't really need to know that, do you?), short, dumpy, bespectacled and kind of a nerd (you didn't really need me to tell you that, did you?). And I also like the Three Stooges, but they probably won't enter into this blog. Much.

More tomorrow (or when the boss takes a day off, whichever comes first!) Thanks for checking in!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home