Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Have yourself a merry little ... whatever!

I know, I know - it's an omen! The secular media is killing Christmas and we're only allowed to say "Happy Holidays" and not "Merry Christmas"!

Well, semi-bah-Humbug. "Happy Holidays" doesn't bother me. I've used it myself more than once. Even though most of the time I say "Merry Christmas". But I understand that if you're working with the general public, you have to be sensitive to the possibility that a few people might not celebrate Christmas and might prefer to hear "Happy Hanukkah" (a strong possibility) or "Happy Kwaanza" (less likely but still in the realm of possibility.

So when you're making that split second decision ("Lemme see - is this sour-faced old prune more likely to celebrate Christmas, Chanukah or Kwaanza?"), sometimes it's just easier to split the difference and go for "Happy Holidays." Which annoys everyone equally and so can't be faulted as divisive.

So - merry Winter Solstice, everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home